Are you new to embroidery? Are you wondering how to thread an embroidery needle? It is actually fairly simple to do. Below, I will teach you how to thread an embroidery needle the easy way.
What is Embroidery?
Embroidery is a crafting technique used to create decorative designs with embroidery floss. When embroidering, you can use a wide range of stitches to create different patterns and textures.
What is Embroidery Used For?
Embroidery is used to create decorative patterns that are pleasing to the eye. You can use embroidery technique to add interest to all types of projects, including:
- Wall decorations
- Tote Bags
- And so much more!
How to Choose an Embroidery Needle
Choosing which embroidery needle to use can be more confusing than the embroidery project itself. When choosing a needle remember:
- The embroidery thread should be easy to thread through the eye.
- The embroidery needle should be big enough to create a hole the thread will pass through easily without making a large gap. You should not be able to see the hole around the thread.
- If the embroidery needle is too thin, it can be hard to pull the embroidery floss through the fabric. This can damage the fabric and the thread.
- When the thread is pulled through the fabric, it should not create a loud noise.
- You should not feel any resistance when pulling the thread through the fabric.
- The embroidery needle should pass through the fabric easily.
- Surface embroidery usually requires a sharp tip. While embroidery stitched on even weave fabric, with visible holes, usually requires a blunt tip needle.
- The embroidery floss should not be jammed tightly into the eye of the needle. It should have free movement.
How to Thread Needle for Embroidery Without a Threader
If you are ready to get started on your embroidery project, you need to know how to thread an embroidery needle. You do not want to push the thread through the eye like you do when threading a sewing needle. Instead, you want to gently guide the thread into the eye.
You will need:
How to Thread an Embroidery Needle Tutorial
1. Prepare an embroidery needle that matches the type of thread. Then cut a workable length of embroidery floss. I often recommend cutting your floss about the length of your arm. If you cut the floss too long, it will easily tangle and could also fray.
2. Trim the ends of the floss, so they have neat, straight edges.
3. Take your thumb and index finger and pinch one end of the floss leaving just the very tip of the floss sticking out.
4. Take the eye of the needle and place it against the end of the floss sticking out from between your fingers.
5. Slowly open your fingers while working the floss through the eye of the needle.
6. Now take hold of the thread and pull it through.
Now You Know How to Thread an Embroidery Needle
I hope my tutorial made it easy to thread your needle. Now that you know how to thread an embroidery needle, it is time to get started creating your next masterpiece.
Check out our Flower Embroidery Patterns and Rose Embroidery Patterns. Show us your finished creations by sharing a pic on our Facebook Page. You can also leave comments, love to hear from you. If you are a beginner you can also check out our Cross Stitch Vs Embroidery article and learn Ways on How To Organize Embroidery Floss.
I hope you had fun learning how to thread an embroidery needle.