Hair scrunchies were a big fashion trend in the 80s. And they have made a huge comeback. What used to be a fashion faux is now a fashion must.
If you enjoy wearing scrunchies, you have come to the right place. There is no need to buy the plain old boring hair scrunchies that everyone else is wearing. Make your own. Learning how to make hair scrunchies is easy.
What is a Hair Scrunchies?
If you lived in the 80s, you know what a hair scrunchie is. They were all the rage and were worn by children as well as celebrities. A hair scrunchie is a hairband that has been covered with gathered fabric.
Hair scrunchies are stronger than regular hair bands. When you wear a scrunchie, you do not have to worry about it breaking and flying out of your hair. And since the elastic is not directly against your hair it will not cause damage.
They are also a great fashion accessory. Match them to your outfit or add a pop of colour. And if you want to take it out of your hair, wear it on your wrist as a bracelet. You can wear them around a high ponytail, low ponytail, pigtails, or around a bun.
Supplies Needed on How to Make Hair Scrunchies
Before you get started, gather your supplies. There are a few things you will need:
1/8 Yard of Fabric 8-10” of ¼” Wide Elastic (depending on the scrunchie size) Matching Thread Sewing Machine Iron Ruler Scissors or Rotary Cutter and Mat Straight Pins Large Safety Pin
How to Make Hair Scrunchies
Hair scrunchies are easy to make. We hope this how to make hair scrunchies tutorial will help you make your own scrunchies.
1. Iron your fabric.
2. Cut your fabric. For a small hair scrunchie cut a 2.5” x 20” piece. For a large scrunchie cut a 3.5” x 22” piece.
3. Place the fabric face down. Turn over the short ends ¼” and iron flat.
4. Turn the fabric over. Fold the scrunchie in half by matching the 2 long edges.
5. Sew down the long edge of the fabric using a ¼” seam.
6. Cut your elastic. Use an 8” piece for a small scrunchie or a 10” piece for a large scrunchie.
7. Sew the elastic to one edge of the fabric. To do this lay it lengthwise on the fabric. Place one end of the elastic against the edge of a short edge. Make sure it is about halfway down and sew it on using a ¼” seam.
8. Turn the fabric right side out. To make this easier, attach a safety pin to the free end of the elastic. This way the elastic will not get bundles up inside. Use a pencil or chopstick to turn the tube right side out.
9. Sew the Loose end of the elastic to the closed end. This will be the same side of the scrunchie that you originally sewed the elastic to. Lay about ½” over the end and secure it using a ¼” stitch.
10. Close the scrunchie by working the end you just sewed into the open end. Make sure it is in far enough, so no elastic is visible, and the seam is equal. Stitch the opening closed.
11. Your hair scrunchie is now ready to wear.
20 Hair Scrunchie Sewing Patterns
Below are 20 of the simplest and cutest hair scrunchies on the internet. We have included free hair scrunchie patterns along with paid patterns.
If you like the look of the old 50s style hair bow, you will love this scrunchie sewing pattern. Use a fun polka dot pattern or a solid black or red. This hair scrunchie is perfect for that classic look.
Not everyone can wear a silk hair scrunchie. They are smooth and can slip out. But if you can, they are better for your hair. They will not suck the moisture out. This pattern uses the smooth luxurious fabric.
The little bow on this scrunchie is adorable. If you are looking for an easy scrunchie pattern that is unique, this is a perfect choice. The pattern includes two options, a small bow, or a large bow. The pattern is perfect for beginners.